Friday, October 2, 2009

Before and After...

While we continue to sift through the pictures of our trip to New York City, I thought I would share with you a project I worked on a few weeks ago. I don't quite have the "after" the way I want it but decided not to wait to post any longer. I have had this oval mirror for ages. Well, I should be honest. This mirror is really MC's but she kindly forgot left it when she moved out of the apartment we shared 6 years ago (thank you sister!). I located it in my attic some time ago and hung it in the den. It is really too small for the space so I looked for an inexpensive yet creative solution to make it work better in its existing spot. Que my new best friend, spray paint. I picked up a large wood frame from Hobby Lobby for 50% off (love that place!) and got to work one Sunday afternoon.

Before the mirror looks a bit small for the space.

I primed the frame with one coat of Kilz Original Interior Oil based Spray Primer. I followed up the primer with two coats of Valspar Porcelain Satin Interior/Exterior Spray Paint from Lowe's. Just a few hours later my project was finished and ready for hanging!

Before primer and spray paint

After...

Yes, I know the frame is missing a picture - it is awaiting the perfect pic from our trip. :)

What do you think? I have just recently begun to scratch the surface on the many uses for spray paint (see my stool transformation here). Anyone have any great spray paint projects they have tackled lately? Do you have a specific brand or color you prefer? Please share, I need some new ideas!

Oh! I hope you enjoyed Coco's post - he snuck that one in while I was at a dinner for work!

3 comments:

Rachel H. said...

Looks great! I'm loving the change! :)

Brittany said...

I love crackle paint!! We have all of our light switch covers sprayed with crackle paint...it gives things texture. I also will spray planter pots with it too!! It's great stuff!

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Love it! Great job!